Sunday, March 18, 2018


ENCOUNTER

                            Latha Prem Sakhya

I met him one afternoon.
The merciless scintillating sun
Drove every  critter to siesta
So only me and him –
He on the other side of the wall.
His glistening, rhythmic body
Fascinated me, as he swam
Upstream, head held high against the current.

Mesmerised, I admired him,over the low wall
Sensing me, his serpentine movement suspended.
His eyes glued on me, an intruder, I felt
Spying on his mysterious journey
For a rendevous, else where.

His snaky gaze and his fearlessness
Shook me, to call out to my partner
But he balanced, unperturbed
The watery stream, rhythmically
Swaying his undulating body.

“Oh my, he is a beauty, a cobra”.
My partner’s presence, and his appraising  voice,
Disturbed him, slowly he retreated
His glassy stare still on us
As he vanished beneath the undergrowth.

No comments:

Post a Comment